A Filipino-Italian Fine Dining Fusion

8:00 PM

A quite late blog post for this one. This event was held at Talamban Leisure Center last April 30, 2013. My cousin's husband, who'll officially become a chef this May 20, 2013, their batch held a simulation (somewhat like a thesis as he said) and showed all of their skills that they have learned as a culinary art student from presenting their own recipe, to decorating and garnishing their work of art.

I'm saying that it is a work of art because it is not easy creating your own dish. You have to be really creative to appease the target customers in your original deli.

As for myself, I really love attending in these kind of events, especially when it showed about finest things in life, and preferrably when it's free (we'll actually, as selected guest XD)

Live Band


Pure squeezed lemon juice, while waiting for the dishes to be served

The people who are with me are my mom, my cousin, my aunt, and my cousin's husband's mom and dad





The Menu from appetizer down to dessert :)

Again, the theme was Filipino-Italian fusion kind of dishes meaning two kinds of taste/theme were fused to create a unique recipe. According to my cousin-in-law these recipes are originally made by them ;)

Antipasto

-literally means "before the meal" in Italian or commonly known as the appetizer. In Italian cuisine the appetizers formally includes olives, cured meat, mushrooms, peperocini, cheeses and vegetables

Chorizo Carpaccio
-A thinly sliced chorizo longganiza sausage (or chorizo bilbao), accompanied with garden fresh organic greens [the olives, alfalfa (bean sprouts), and I forgot the leafy one >.<] on lemon pinakurat vinnaigrette (sukang pinakurat)

This is by best, the best appetizer that I've ever tasted! and I love sukang pinakurat :)

Ensalata

Known as "salad" served after the appetizer or after the main course. Composed with green organic vegetables and a dressing

Kesong Puti Caprese
-An Italian salad made of basi goat's cheese and salad tomato in ginger balsamic gastrique

A hint of pinoy taste is here because of the dried squid (food for the mass) cut into pieces and the kesong puti but the thing is that the taste doesn't compliment by its appearance because of the oregano leaves (oregano leaf are too strong once tasted >.<).

Zuppa

In Italian cuisine refers to both sweet and savoury dishes. It comes from the verb "inzuppare" which means "to dunk" .


 Tortellini stuffed Lechon Cebu in Tomato Minestrone Brodo
-Pasta stuffed with lechon cebu in clear tomato broth and grilled vegetables with alfalfa

Inside the dumpling in the soup holds the stuffed lechon. The soup has the soft feeling (I think it's because of the mushrooms).

First Secondi

A protein-based dish such as a meat, poultry, fish. This is considered the main course, often the most expensive. Sometimes Italians will have an Antipasto and then if they don't want to fill up on pasta, they will skip that and have a Secondo. Fish and seafood are considered the most expensive food items.
Chicken Inasal Saltimboka; Capponata Peppers and Buttered Fagioli Pinakupsan Folenta
-Fried chicken rollade marinade inasal way in pinakupsan mixed in folenta
It's like a chicken gordon bleu, the only thing was that it isn't covered with bread crumbs and the insides aren't the cheese, hams and hotdogs but it's simply bacon (and bacons are my first loves! yehey! ^_^). My impression in seeing the bacon was it was raw but my cousin-in-law (their group made this that's why I had a lot of info ;p) told me that it looks like one but it isn't raw, just half cooked. They just somewhat simmered the bacon to keep the moisture together with the chicken, because if they fried it, the chicken may turn out hard and dry. Putting yellow corn in the dish provides a Filipino essence on the food since yellow corn is also known as the "rice for the masses" and putting in the fining dining culture makes the yellow corn's reputation an upward mark. 

Sorbeto

A frozen dessert from sweetened water flavored with fruit (typically juice or puree), wine or liqueur


Lemonsito
 -A citrus calamansi infused in sorbet with mint

 My childhood life was a lie! I thought sorbet meant ice cream but it's not. it is actually a simple juice or a liqueur frozen in a bit of ice. It's just like your any ordinary calamnsi juice with only with standards.

Second Secondi (Second Main Course)

 Osso Buco in Filipino Mashed ala Margherita

-Simmered beef with sweet mashed potato plus broccoli (and is sitting on a bone O_O)

I am not really fond with eating beefs especially if it's only simmered because I still find them hard to eat (or maybe other restaurants haven't simmered it properly -.-) but this one is different. It's soft and very chewy though the beef lacks taste (or maybe it's just like that) but when paired it with the sweet mashed potato. It's a go-go!

 Dolce (Dessert)

But most people skipped this part and prefer to eat gelato but the common desserts were panacotta and tiramisu

 Mango Panacotta and Otap Tiramisu
-Italian gelatin infused mango and Cebu's flat bisquity over tiramisu filling

Thumbs up! An otap became a tiramisu and sprinkled with cocoa powder. The panacotta was awesome! not too sweet and not too off-taste best in everyone's taste buds! :)

You can't appreciate Italian cuisine without drinking wine after the meal :)


 From L-R my cousin-in-law's mom, my mom, my aunt, my cousin, cousin-in-law, and his classmate
 From L-R my cousin-in-law's mom, my mom, my aunt, and  my cousin
It was a fun experience, I learned a lot with regards to Italian cuisine and it was awesome! I probably should take Italy an ups from my places to visit list. 

With regards to Italian terminologies (which I put on the description after every heading in different categories) about fine dining and food here's the link: http://www.nadasitaly.com/EatinginItaly.htm

For the location of the event click here
And about the Culinary school that my cousin-in-law is enrolled at click here



All photos were taken by me unless or otherwise stated.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

Campaigns~

Read the Printed Word!

Subscribe